Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Roughlace Bangle (continued)

bangle-019abc

I am currently exploring jewellery as an expression of identity, and making jewellery as an expression of myself as the maker.

I grew up in Zimbabwe in an old Rhodesian house with decorative iron burglar bars. I would lie in bed and stare at the patterns trying to see if I could make other patterns within them. I have seen some reminiscence of the elements from those burglar bars in my work (this bangle included). The use of these elements in my work is a connection to my childhood and upbringing.

I wanted this bangle to be feminine but have a slight boldness to it as well. I think it is important to note that the lace-look I have chosen for this piece is a rugged lace, not refined and perfect. This is a representation of how I feel that although the nature of a woman is delicate and refined, each of use holds a unique strength and character. We may have flaws and faults but it’s the little knots and tassels that when woven together create a beautiful lacework.


No comments: